Sunday, April 20, 2008

Media Messages

This chapter in our book dealing with media messages and how they affect us is probably the most influential chapter of all of them. I took the 13 Effects and judged them against myself and also I chose a media source: rap. I personally chose rap because I understand it and I listen to it frequently. I came to realize many things about not only myself but the effects of rap as well. One thing I realized was the affect of rap music on little kids and even adults. Personally I am a very against people bashing the rap industry. I like it and I think some of it has real meaning. Now you can agree to disagree on that point because we all have our own opinions. Unfortunately, I have discovered much about the mind form this chapter. The fact that children do not fully understand media messages and morality at a young age and that like the University of Michigan med school , charade they should start learning not a alludes to why so many people have a problem with Eminem. He reached far in his audience and younger children were listening to him. Granted by the age of twelve everyone know what is right or wrong (for the most part) so you could almost say the parent train al warnings actually do accomplish something if they are enforced.

One of the most interesting points that I learned during my reading was the one that almost controls all of the others. A personal Locus boils down to the determination of using what you know to better yourself. While I think personally feel that I have a high personal locus I do believe that there is a lot for me to work on. I know understanding media messages and media effects I’ll help me make choice better as an audience member. Since I am old enough to understand the difference between right and wrong I would not day that I am not being influenced but I am being offered a media message that I can either give in or not. For many who do not have very strong personal locus they tend to be easily influenced by media messages. This self motivation towards you is determined by many things including lifestyles and habits. The tricky part to a personal locus is that even though you may have a very strong one you control which media messages affect you. I know I am not easily influenced negatively by music and movies. I may listen to a lot of rap buy I do not let the messages influence me. There are times though when I will let different media messages influence my mind. I have a weak spot for clothing stores. If it says sales then I am there. This is one of the things that I need to work on. Since I have been in this class I am recognizing so many more messages that are thrown our way. I see many things that I need to change and am currently changing about myself and society.

No comments: